10 Tips For First Time Buyers
|1. Be picky, but don't be unrealistic. There is no perfect home; almost perfect, but usually not quite.
2. Do your homework before you start looking. Decide specifically what features you want in a home and which are most
important to you.
3. Get your finances in order. Review your credit report and be sure you have enough money to cover your down payment and
your closing costs
4. Don't wait to get a loan. Talk to a lender and get pre-qualified for a mortgage before you start looking.
5. Don't ask too many people for opinions. It will drive you crazy. Select one or two people to turn to if you feel you need a
6. Decide when you could move. When is your lease up? Are you allowed to sublet? How tight is the rental market in your
7. Think long-term. Are you looking for a starter house with the idea of moving up in a few years or do you hope to stay in this
home longer? This decision may dictate what type of home you'll buy as well as type of mortgage terms that suit you best.
8. Don't let yourself be house poor. If you max yourself out to buy the biggest home you can afford, you'll have no money left
for maintenance or decoration or to save money for other financial goals.
9. Don't be naive. Get a home inspection.
10. When is a good time to buy a home? NOW!
Buying a home, especially a first home, is very exciting, stressful, fun and nerve wracking all at the same time. What
an overwhelming experience! You need to have someone you can relate to; someone who will take a little of the stress
away, so you can enjoy the experience.
Shirley Lawrence pledges to not just sell you a home, but to give you an education in the
buying process. Choose an experienced team who will help you every step of the way.